NEXT EVENT! EARLY ANNOUNCEMENT
To download the programme click here
FREE ZONES &
SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES
2 DAY SEMINAR: Monday & Tuesday 15th/16th April 2019
This Seminar will review and discuss many of the current issues which affect the design, implementation, operation and marketing of Zones throughout the world.
The challenges are many but the rewards can be substantial. Even countries and regions which have created successful programmes are constantly reviewing their development and are not afraid to make changes, some of them radical.
Despite the great variety in Zones, as well as their position and profile in the investment climate of a particular geographic entity there are some unifying factors which influence success The current trade climate is not helping global economies as corporates struggle to find a way to continue development with less risk. Strategy and capability go hand in hand and this seminar will offer participants the opportunity to cut to the heart of the decision making processes which will eventually impact what they have to offer and their success stories.
In addition light will be thrown on the technology issues which come with growth and infrastructure improvement including Industry 4 0: Robotics and A1, Data centres, using technology for Target Sector Identification of prospects, Supply Chain/Blockchain and also Fintech opportunities.
At WFZC we monitor the increasing number of Special Economic
Zones around the world. More than 120 countries
now have some form of zone development programme. We liaise closely with international organisations whose work impacts upon Zones
Speakers and Delegates who have participated in our meetings represent a wide cross-section of organisations from almost all these countries, and from others considering their establishment - Zones and the Authorities who regulate them, Government Ministries, Investment Promotion Agencies, Corporates and Location Specialists as well as Investors, Banks and other Financial Advisers.
Since 2001 WFZC has built up an unparalleled network of partners, sponsors and speakers who have contributed to events held. See our History pages for reviews of the
events and our Library pages for a review of presentations which have been made.
NEWS about ZONES and INVESTMENT
News Services from our partners - Click the links to open a window
WORLD FREE ZONE CONVENTION WEBSITE AWARDS 2017
2017 WINNERS Category ONE !
2017 WINNERS Category TWO !
TAX AND TRADE ISSUES AFFECTING
DIRECT INVESTMENT & SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES
‘BACK TO BACK’ 1 ½ DAY SEMINARS were held in London, UK the 11-12-13 December 2017
These rigorous seminars reviewed and analysed many of the current tax and investment reforms that affect the design, operation and operation of SEZs across the world. The high level discussion was of direct relevance to the countries that were represented. Participants exchanged ideas, received guidance on investor attitudes and how to respond to the new challenges ahead.
ONE - USING
INVESTMENT TREATIES TO MANAGE RISK AND IMPROVE RIGHTS
TWO - NEW
INTERNATIONAL TAX & CUSTOMS CHANGES - EFFECTS ON ZONE MANAGEMENT
AND INVESTOR ATTRACTION
The full programme, including speaker details, can be found on this link
Zhuhai, Guangdong, China 19 and 20 June 2017
WFZC teamed up with RTM Group for a 2-day Summit meeting on the 19th/20th June in Zhuhai, bringing together experts and practitioners from within and outside China.
- A unique opportunity to meet the senior administration of Guangdong Province, southern China, responsible for one of the "Pilot" FTZs, to visit three Zones and to meet Chinese delegates eager to do business with their counterparts overseas.
- Keynote speeches with three Discussion Streams including one focusing on e-commerce
- full day site visit on the 20th June to three Zones
The 15th ANNUAL CONVENTION was held in
International Conference & Exhibition
5th - 6th April 2017
Optional Pre-Conference Training 3rd and 4th April 2017
SPECIAL AND FREE ECONOMIC ZONES
ENABLERS OF NATIONAL DIVERSIFICATION & GLOBAL EXPANSION
|Economic Zones Partner |
14th World Free Zone Convention -
27th February - 1st March 2016 - BANGKOK, Thailand
with the support of
At the conclusion of the highly successful 14th WORLD FREE ZONE CONVENTION we should like to take this opportunity to thank all our speakers and delegates for their active participation in our debates and analyses of issues affecting Zones globally.
In particular our thanks go to Mr. Winichai Chaemchaeng, Vice Minister for Commerce and Mr. Verasak Supprasert, Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Industry, Economics Department of the Government of Thailand, and H.E. Pan Sorasak, Secretary of State, Ministry of Commerce, Cambodia. The region was well represented with participants from Malaysia, Singapore, China, Myanmar, India and Sri Lanka.
The IPAWorld Website Awards were presented during the River Cruise - congratulations to the Winners and Runners Up!
Bangkok was particularly welcoming and we should all like to thank our Media Partners (Site Selection/Conway, FDI Intelligence, Invest In and Oxford Intelligence). Our Supporting Partner Organisations made it all happen: Tractus-Asia, WCA and Development Services International Ltd. We look forward to meeting you at the next World Free Zone Convention event.
Economic Zones & Smart Cities: Cutting Edge Approaches to Sustainable Planning, Development, and Implementation - Summit
This exceptional event was held in Washington, D.C. on the 10th/11th September 2015
World Free Zone Convention (WFZC) visited Washington, D.C. as part of its ongoing outreach to international institutions, to share knowledge and practical experiences with the World Bank and other leading organisations. The conference was sponsored by Deloitte Advisory.
"WFZC has worked with the World Trade Organisation, the World Customs Organisation, and other global groups so it is a particular pleasure for us to be holding this event in Washington, D.C. which is such an international city," said Graham Mather, Chairman of the WFZC, based in London. "With Deloitte Advisory as our convention sponsor, we facilitated a first-class meeting at the cutting edge of technology, creativity, and competitiveness."
The conference featured speakers and panelists from global institutions, leading industries, and academia from around the world. Participating organisations included the World Bank Group, Deloitte, DMCC Free Zone Dubai, FedEx, Cisco Systems, Gensler, Yale University, and Georgetown University. The programme focussed on current state of zone/city development through discussions with delegates from the Gulf States, Middle East, Africa, Southeast Asia, and South America.
Day One included panel discussions in the morning followed by an afternoon visit to the Dulles/IT Corridor (Loudoun County, Virginia) where delegates had the opportunity to see first-hand development impacts at the regional level. WFZC would like to extend its warm thanks to the Loudoun team. On Day Two discussions continued at the Waterview Conference Centre (Arlington, VA). Panel topics included:
- Smart Cities and New Urban Environments: State of Play - Keynote
- Transport/Logistics oriented City/Zone Development
- Economic Zones: Future Directions
- Technology/ICT oriented "City"/Zone Development
- Market and Finance/Demand and Innovative Financing
- Green Cities and Green Economic Zones (helping investors achieve their sustainability objectives/environment, social impact, governance, and resilience)
What is being said about smart cities and economic zones:
"Any country that didn't have a Special Economic Zone 10 years ago either does now or seems to be planning one." - World Bank Senior Economist Thomas Farole on growth of free-trade zones
"The ultimate goal of a Smart City is transformational: to achieve enhanced quality of life for citizens and deliver tangible benefits at national, provincial, and municipal levels while leveraging natural resources judiciously." - Deloitte report: "Africa is ready to leapfrog the competition Through Smart Cities Technology"
Highlights since 2001
- WTO Director General and EU Negotiator on WFZC platforms in 2001-2003
- IPAWorld supports Free Zone Website Awards (2002 - present)
- Foreign Direct Investment magazine becomes media partner (2002)
- Partnership with CEI / EBRD at Skopje governmental conference
- Report "Challenges, Threats and Opportunities for the world's Free Zones" presented at the Brussels Convention (2003)
and visit to European Parliament and other European Union institutions
- Daily News from Oxford Intelligence launched on WFZC website
- Special analysis of International Law on Incentives, Benefits, Competition and State Aids in London 2003
- Courses and Training Division established
- WFZC becomes World Bank FDI Xchange partner (2004)
- Post Conference visit to Free Zones in Cairo, Egypt
- WFZC supports WAIPA (World Association of Investment Promotion Agencies) meetings from 2004
- WFZC infrastructure seminar at MIPIM international property exhibition in Cannes (2005/06)
- First WFZC meeting held in a Free Zone (Aegean Free Zone, Izmir) with Ministerial Round Table, resulting in Conference Declaration
and Financial Times publishes full page article on Free Zones (2005)
- WFZC assists with the launch of Pan African Free Zone Association at 5th Convention in London
- Site Selection magazine from the US becomes new media partner (2006)
- World Customs Organisation & WFZC sign joint Declaration at Geneva Briefing & Forum (2006)
- AFZA (Africa Free Zones Association) Memorandum of agreement signed at 6th Convention in Paris (2006)
- 2nd Joint Briefing with WCO held in their Headquarters Building in Brussels (2007) with a contribution from the China Free Trade Zone and Export Processing Zones Association
- 7th Annual Convention held in Asia (Kuala Lumpur) in November 2007 with Site Selection as new media partner
- REIDIN.com property and infrastructure information provider becomes new partner 2008
- Monthly WFZC Zones Activity Report launched in February 2008
- Port Master Planning 3 Day Training Course held in The Netherlands (June 2008)
- 8th Convention held in Charleston, South Carolina, USA in December 2008
- Supply Chain Management Master Planning 2 1/2 Day Course held in The Netherlands (March 2009 and April 2010)
- 9th Annual Convention held in Hyderabad, India (December 2009)
- Infrastructure & Real Estate Investment Planning And Management For Zones And Industrial/technology Parks 3 Day training programme & study tour Dublin and Shannon Ireland (July 2010)
- 10th Anniversary Convention held in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE ( November 2010) and Appointment of WFZC Ambassadors
- Port Master Planning & Special Economic and Industrial Zones in co-operation with DHV Group and the Port of Rotterdam Amsterdam (April 2011)
- Training Course + Study Tour to Katovice and Lodz, Poland ( June 2011)
- 11th Convention held in Pudong, Shanghai, China with joint communiqué in November 2011
- 2 1/2 Day Training Course + Visit to World Customs Organisation HQ in Brussels ( March 2012)
- 2 Day Workshop in Dubai, UAE ( June 2012)
- 2 day Conference in collaboration with the Port Authority of Trieste, Italy (July 2012)
- Training Workshop with a visit to WTO Headquarters in Geneva (October 2012)
- 12th Convention held in London, UK with joint declaration in December 2012
- WFZC Training & Development 2013 in Sandton, South Africa (May 2013)
- 2 day Conference in collaboration with the Port Authority of Gioia Tauro, Italy (June 2013)
- 13th Convention held in Izmir, Turkey in December 2013
- 2 day intensive seminar: Corporate Taxation, Transfer Pricing and FDI Incentives with IBFD in Amsterdam (June 2014)
- 2 day Summit with field trip to Loudoun County, Virginia: ECONOMIC ZONES, SMART CITIES, AND NEW URBAN ENVIRONMENTS - CUTTING EDGE APPROACHES TO SUSTAINABLE PLANNING, DEVELOPMENT & IMPLEMENTATION with the World Bank and Deloitte Advisory in Washington, DC (September 2015)
- 14th Convention held in Bangkok, Thailand in Feb/March 2016
- 15th Convention held in Doha, Qatar in April 2017
- Zhuhai, Guangdong, China 19 and 20 June 2017
- Two ‘BACK TO BACK’ 1 ½ DAY SEMINARS, London, UK 11/12/13 Dec 2017